Add this

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Are building inspectors.....Godlike?

I personally am a NJ. licensed building inspector/code official.

 I don't work for the state, although that might have been my original plan. Knowing the codes keeps me ahead of the game on my jobs. I spent many hours in the classroom at the local county college and many hours at night to study for this prestigious title.  But wait...is it really that prestigious? I'm gonna have to go with...it depends on the person. Just like anything, and any title, it's the person holding that position that will make it a good or a bad thing.
I remember while I was taking the class for my Code Official license most of the people that were there where already inspectors working for some town in New Jersey. Our instructor was a pleasant person, and he worked for the DCA (Department of Community Affairs) which is the headquarters for all building inspectors.....and other things. There was this one guy, an arrogant small built man with a very large mouth. During break, he was usually alone and would listen in on other conversations that were going on, and occasionally break in with his opinion.
One night in class our instructor happened to ask someone how their town was perceived by the public. While answering the instructor, this arrogant little man blurts out....
"I don't care what the contractors think in my town, they have to wait for me, and do whatever I say.....I'm like God"  
Well holy crap! That was pretty much the end of the class! The instructor went off on this guy for almost an hour. He said things like: "it's people like you that give inspectors a bad name", and "that's why people take a chance and not apply for permits because their afraid that they might run into someone like you", and most importantly, "without these people and especially contractors you wouldn't have a job, and as a matter of fact if you worked in my township, I would have you fired for saying something as stupid as that!"  The class applauded! He didn't say another word for the rest of the course, and luckily for me I haven't run into him on any of my job sites.

But that brings to mind of an inspector with the Godlike persona...

I am the NEW building Inspector....Obey!
I was working on a housing development about 12 years ago. We were putting in a footing for a new house. The conditions were really bad on this one lot, and the trackhoe had a really hard time digging out for this foundation because he hit a monster block of hard shale. He worked on it for two days, and just barely got it to a point that we could work in it. It wasn't easy, but we got the forms in, and leveled and had called in the inspection. Inspections always put me on edge, for me it's like taking a test......am I gonna pass?
The state car pulled up, and a unfamiliar face comes walking down the ramp into the hole. He introduces himself..."I'm the NEW inspector in town, and I don't take any crap from anyone, and I expect that your work is better than acceptable" OH SH*#.....here we go....

He grabs the blueprint, and looks around. 

Then he takes out his tape measure and starts measuring the forms. "Um...., I'm gonna have to fail you on this" he said. Now to know me a little better, I pride myself in my work and I absolutely hate to fail an inspection. I look him straight in the eyes and said, "Oh really?...why?" He gets this arrogant look on his face, and smartly exclaims, "What does the print say about the width of the footings?" I knew the answer, and answered, "24 inches" "Well I guess you fail" he said. " You only have 23 inches on that wall" I looked at him in disbelief......"Are you kidding me? look at the forms, their right up against that solid wall of shale?!" As he take out a red sticker he says "Is it 24 inches?" Sparks were shooting from my eyes, and I told him NOT to write up that red sticker. I (kinda angrily) yelled to one of my guys to throw me the shale bar (a long steel bar with a point), and one was in my hand within nanoseconds. I started swinging this shale bar at the braces knocking them off with ease, grabbed the board that made up the form, and I pulled with all of my strength. I yelled for one of my men to nail a new brace while I was holding it, which he did. I grabbed my tape measure and took a reading on the width of the footing, and it read 28 inches....."IS THAT GOOD FOR YOU???!!!" Smugly he says "the minimum is 24 inches, so I guess that's okay, but I'm gonna have to fail you anyway" I was stunned....."For what now?" The boxes for the lolly columns are not gonna be strong enough, you made them out of plywood and the form is gonna blow" I was now nose to nose with this guy, and I told him I could make the forms out of balsa wood if I wanted, as long as the end product was square! I then told him to stop acting like an ass, and hand me my passing sticker because I called the concrete company already and the truck would be there momentarily. He did hand me a passing sticker, and I only had one small run in with him at another site, but he was much better this time. I think he learned that it's better not to look down on someone else and not to think of yourself as so High and Mighty!

TIP OF THE DAY:


Levels.......
Levels come in many shapes and sizes, and each one has its own uses. A eight inch torpedo level is a handy item to have around the house and a magnetic one is perfect for certain things, but it is not a good idea to try leveling a large surface with one when a four or six foot level would give much more accurate results.
A line level is necessary when a string line needs to be level, and no other level is going to take its place in a pinch. They hook right onto the string, they are small, and they are cheap.
A graduated level is used for plumbing work and have marks to set the fall or drop of the pipe without having to constantly measure it, water after all does not flow uphill unless under pressure.
Laser levels are handy once again in certain places and can save you a great deal of time in many applications.
Home improvement is an ever present reality for most home owners, and knowing these tricks and special tools can make a world of difference when you really need one as any do-it- yourself home owner knows!

See you next time......from beyond.........

No comments:

Post a Comment